Becoming an ALMS User
ALMS New User Instructions
1. Please send an E-mail requesting training to email@example.com. Please indicate the technology or instruments for which you wish training. Also, please indicate the number of users requiring training and send all user names and e-mail addresses. Confocal training sessions are 3 hours and are conducted when there are enough new users requesting training, usually 4 to 7 people. Sessions are usually held about every two weeks. Training on other instruments takes about one to two hours depending on instrument.
2. Sign up for an account on the CNSI Lab Management System (CLMS) webpage. Make sure to fill in all required information and to check the box for the Advanced Light Microscopy/Spectroscopy Facility on the line where you indicate labs you are interested in using. When filling out your information, DO NOT CHOOSE THE CREDIT CARD OPTION for financing unless you are really going to use a credit card! We cannot change it once you have chosen this option! When your financial information has been approved by the CNSI Business Office, you will be approved as an ALMS Facility user.
4. Sign and have your PI sign, then submit the CNSI Technology Centers User Agreement in paper form to the facility in Room CNSI B145 if you have not done so already. This form must be completed only once for use of any of the CNSI Technology Centers.
5. To gain 24/7 access to the instruments, you will need a CNSI access card. Your CNSI card will give you 24 hour, 7 day-a-week access to the instruments on which you have been trained and have reserved for use. To obtain an access card or update an existing card, you will need to have viewed the ALMS Safety Training Video (in the ALMS Lab) and you will need to fill out and return the CNSI Building Access Request Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please follow the instructions on the form carefully. This form is now required to obtain a new card, add access to a CNSI lab or room or to reinstate an expired card and the ALMS must approve your request. We will notify CNSI security that you are eligible for a card and what room access may be granted. We will notify CNSI security that you are eligible for a card and what room access may be granted. NOTE: Both CNSI Security and the ALMS lab require your picture.
6. Sign up and take EH&S Embedded Laser safety training (Click on “Go To Worksafe Now” at https://www.ehs.ucla.edu/
7. Items 1-4 must be completed prior to training. Laser safety training should also be taken as soon as possible, but need not be completed prior to instrument training. Once your training is completed, you will be approved to reserve the instrument on which you have been trained. It is strongly advised that you request assistance the first time (1st hour charged at unassisted rate) to help you set up fluorochrome settings and get you started the first time you use a particular confocal microscope. This will be helpful when you start to operate the instrument yourself.