Becoming an ALMS/MIS User
1. Please send an E-mail requesting training to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the technology or instruments for which you wish training. Also, please indicate the number of users requiring training and send all user names and e-mail addresses. Confocal training sessions are 3 hours and are conducted when there are enough new users requesting training, usually 4 to 7 people. Sessions are usually held about every two weeks. Training on other instruments takes about one to two hours depending on instrument.
2. Sign up for an account on the CNSI Core Lab Management System (CLMS) webpage. Make sure to fill in all required information and to check the box for the Advanced Light Microscopy/Spectroscopy Facility on the line where you indicate labs you are interested in using. When filling out your information, DO NOT CHOOSE THE CREDIT CARD OPTION for financing unless you are really going to use a credit card!! We cannot change it once you have chosen this option!!
When your financial information has been approved by the CNSI Business Office, you will be approved as an ALMS Facility user.
3. Fill out the ALMS User application form and send it to email@example.com along with a jpg. image of yourself. Make sure that you have complete information.
4. Sign and have your PI sign, then submit the CNSI Technology Centers User Agreement in paper form to the facility in Room CNSI B145 if you have not done so already. This form must be completed only once for use of any of the CNSI Core Facilities.
5. To gain 24/7 access to the instruments, you will need a CNSI access card. Your CNSI card will give you 24 hour, 7 day-a-week access to the instruments on which you have been trained and have reserved for use. To get one, you will need to fill out and send the CNSI's Building Access Request Form to CNSI Security (email address is on the form). Please follow the instructions on the form carefully. Let us know which instrument you are intending to use and we will give you the information for the lab or room number to put on the form. This form is now required to obtain a new card, add access to a CNSI lab or room or to reinstate an expired card and the ALMS must approve your request. We will notify CNSI security that you are eligible for a card and what room access may be granted. NOTE: Both CNSI Security and the ALMS lab require your picture.
6. Sign up and take EH&S Laser safety training (Go to the Worksafelink under Registration on the https://www.ehs.ucla.edu/training/schedule web page).
7. Items 1-4 must be completed prior to training. Laser safety training should also be taken as soon as possible, but need not be completed prior to instrument training. Once your training is completed, you will be approved to reserve the instrument on which you have been trained. It is strongly advised that you request assistance to help you set up fluorochrome settings the first time you use a particular confocal microscope. This will be helpful when youstart to operate the instrument yourself. After your first uages, you will also be required to view a 7 minute video outlining the safety features of the ALMS and MIS laboratories.